Saturday, June 23, 2007

Moving Milestone #2 - Il Gatto Sta Saltando

People have had a lot of different reactions and responses when I tell them that I am moving to Italy. The most common question I have received so far (after the formalities of the polite "how wonderful") is "do you speak Italian?" If only people knew what a tailspin of insecurity this starts for me. In short, the answer is simple, I don't speak Italian. I am determined to make this a temporary state however. One of the best things about moving to Italy is the chance to learn another language. I've always been so envious of people who were even semi-fluent in a second tongue. Soon, this will be me and I will be able to answer a question that I have long wondered. When you are speaking in another language, what language are your thoughts in? When I do learn Italian, will I then begin to day dream in Italian? I sort of hope so, it seems that I might have more exciting day dreams, like scenes from an old Italian movie... how romantic.

Anyway, in order to save some sense of pride when answering this question, I began in earnest to at least attempt to learn a little Italian before I leave. Since I have had a pretty hectic schedule and not much time to spare, I'm trying out Rosetta Stone. You may have seen the carts at airports hawking the software. Apparently the program teaches you in a "natural" way, similar to have children learn their first language. Like any good shopper, I searched around for a good deal and found someone willing to sell me level one and two (not that I'll need it) for only $70, almost a third of the purchase price. I love Craigslist!

So I've been working my way through the different lessons, learning the basics; man, women, colors, time, etc. etc. The problem with learning like a child when your 27 is that your learning like a child when your 27. It takes a bit of patience not to want to know how the noun and the verb relate and worry about conjugation. The program strictly limits me to toddler-like "the blue car", short-choppy sentences. I'm getting there though. I had quite a break through in the bathroom one morning before Charlie and Josh left. Charlie hopped up onto the bathroom vanity and in a sleepy haze I realized that I could verbalize this momentous event. "Il gatto sta saltando", I cried! The cat, was indeed, jumping.

1 comment:

Christine K said...

You are a freaking Italian genius! People say that once you get really great at a language that you do start to dream in that language....fancy!