Friday, June 29, 2007

Mezzo Life

Eek! I'm moving to Italy in 12 days. I am leading some sort of mezzo life. Not yet done with the old, but not yet starting on the new. Mezzo life is like the holding pattern a plane flies when you are waiting your turn to land. It is comfortable enough, but you aren’t quite anywhere yet, just passing time.
I think I’m ready to leave Philadelphia, but am I ready for Roma? I feel that my life as I knew it here in Philadelphia has come to a close. Josh and Charlie are long gone and even the cat hair is starting to disappear from the far corners of the apartment. Almost everything is all packed up or has a designated home. I’ve started doing things for “one last time”. What I thought would seem like a lifetime of solitude has quietly slipped by. I’ve done most all of my very favorite things in Philadelphia in no particular order. I’ve sat by the pool, one of my favorite summertime neighborhood activities. I still can’t believe they let you in there for free! What a steal. I’ve strolled through Rittenhouse Square and hit all of my “go-to” clothing stores for one last attempt to represent our nation well in a land of fashion icons. I’ve eaten at some of my old and new favorite Philadelphia restaurants, Cuba Libre, Alma de Cuba (there seems to be a theme here), Marathon on the Square, and Sushi at Misu. I’ve even gotten my palm read (not really on my list of favorite things to do in Philadelphia, but good spontaneous fun nonetheless). I’ve spent some good quality cardio time pounding the pavement on my favorite running trail and even tried to hit the gym for old time’s sake. Next week, I’ll even have to pack up my desk at work.

Despite all of this healthy closure, I find myself strangely clinging to my mezzo life. I’m getting used to my mezzo apartment and my mezzo job and my mezzo routines. MezzoLife has enough resemblance of old Philadelphia life to feel familiar and is more comforting than the thought of the new and unknown Roma NuovoLife.

No comments: