Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Ciao Darwin" - If This is the Evolution of Man, I'd Rather be a Monkey

Last night I was feeling a bit under the weather, a bit of a stuffy head and runny nose, so I decided to call it a night early (relatively anyway). I made myself a hot cup of tea and crawled into bed. I thought since I was being such a slug I would at least practice my Italian by watching some local TV. I flipped through some channels before I came upon one of my guilty pleasures, and found what looked to be like a beauty pageant. A perfect thing to snuggle down and watch when a girl isn’t feeling well, I can at least watch others be pretty and glamorous. I soon found though, that this was NOT an Italian beauty pageant. It was some sort of variety/show with two teams of competing women. Two women would be dressed up in different “costumes”, they would catwalk and strut across the stage in these costumes and more often then not strip down to some very skimpy skivvies by the end of their stroll. This was disturbing enough, then I realized that the audience was full of men with voting machines and after this display by the women, they were voting on which one they liked best. If that wasn’t enough to make me question Italian culture, I then realized HOW the women were divided into teams. There was a team of “donne bianche” and a team of “donne nera”… they were divided into black women and white women!! I had never seen anything like it, but the worst part was, I couldn’t stop watching!!

Still disturbed when I woke up this morning, I decided to look up the atrocity to see if I could find out more information. Here is what the show has to say about itself:

“CIAO DARWIN...the survival of the fittest! involves 100 contestants split into two equal teams of common stereotypes such as 'Fat vs. Thin', 'Daughters in Law vs. Mothers in Law', or 'City vs. Country'. Surrounded by a high-energy studio audience of the opposite sex to that of the contestants, the celebrity captains guide their teams through hilarious challenges testing bravery, style and talent. With interactive possibilities this fun-filled, primetime format has a proven track record as a ratings winner in the Saturday night broadcast battle.”


I also found a small clip of the show, be warned though, you may not want to open this at your desk, it is a bit…racey (pun intended), not to mentinon offensive and totally disgusting . I am not sure who is at greater fault, these women, the men, the television channel, or myself for watching it longer than 10 seconds.


http://www.video.mediaset.it/video.html?sito=ciaodarwin&data=2007/09/18&id=88&categoria=sfilate&from=email

No comments: