Friday, July 13, 2007

Hello Rome!

I originally had this post titled “Goodbye Philadelphia”, but in my fragile emotional state it made me start to tear up again. To keep things positive, “Hello Rome” it is. Sort of the “glass is half full approach”. So my last post from Philadelphia.

EVERYTHING is packed and the house is clean. Some thoughts about moving out of an apartment in general… Every good renter knows that any hope of getting at least a sliver of your security deposit back means you have to leave the place looking like you didn’t tear it up for the past three years. This entails a good thorough cleaning. What an awful process. Moving is stressful if you are moving to Italy or across the street; no one feels like cleaning after they have just packed and schlepped all of their belongings around. No one wants to be slapped in the face with the sad reality that you didn’t sweep behind the furniture enough when you are already in such a heightened emotional state. Furthermore, I feel obligated to do the deep clean, I get this honestly from my mother, I feel that I might be judged my the new tenants on the cleanliness of my home. Even if we were pigs sometimes, I would like to think that they thought I was a neat and tidy person. So alas, the night before I am moving to Italy, I scrubbed my refrigerator furiously until it shined like new (which was certainly NOT the condition that I received it in). The worse part is that the house is probably cleaner now than any time I actually resided in it! Why didn’t I take the time to clean the refrigerator more?

In between all of this cleaning and packing it was nice to receive so many good wishes. It is almost 2am, so allow me a moment of nostalgia. I’m sorry I didn’t have a chance to call you all back or always say a proper goodbye. I really am a lucky girl. Thanks to Jessie, for helping me furiously scrub things (thanks also for letting Mike take all of my stuff, I’m sorry if it will end up in your house someday). Thank you Kristen for calling me on one of the hardest days of your life, just to make sure I had a place to sleep tonight. Thank you Jamie, for checking in while you are traveling in the middle of who-knows-where and at least few time zones away. Thank you Christine for calling and assuring me that you will hunt me down, even if I couldn’t call back tonight. Thank you Mom, I know you didn’t call tonight because you called yesterday and didn’t want to “bother” me again today. This is silly, mothers can call anytime. Thank you Aunt Jeana for the good wishes! Beth, thank you for your message (and for taking care of all of our miscellaneous paperwork)!! Pa, thanks for the proper “arrivederci”. I closed my last night in Philadelphia sipping a bit of bubbly and watching strangers pick through my stuff on the front steps of my apartment building, I can’t think of a better way to end things. Kelly, thanks for showing up at my door with two glasses of champagne and a final toast to the City of Brotherly Love. Much gratitude in advance for all of my wonderful family and friends who won’t be offended that I didn’t itemize them on this post… its 2:30am and that could take awhile.

Ciao for now to most of you! Josh, I’ll see you tomorrow!

Xoxo.

No comments: